Saturday, October 17, 2009

Chigger Festival/Extravaganza 2009

WoooHOOO! My sister Mary and I had an itchin' good time in Cooper today! We got up EARLY and at pancakes, prepared by the Lion's Club, then to the donut shop for dessert! We walked around the square, visited with folks and saw the sites. We took a break and went to the garage sale our older sister, Martha and her girls, were having today.
At the Civic Center, they were having a Health Fair. When we walked in, they gave us a big bag and said there would be "freebies" at each table. I told my sister that it was like "trick or treat for old folks". We got samples of arthritis cream, pill boxes, yard sticks, lotion, purse packs of tissues, candy, tape measures, pens....just fun stuff!
There was an elderly lady there today that had homemade jelly. Mary and I both got some Muscadine jelly. I can't wait to try it at breakfast!


I had told my facebook friends that I was contemplating competing for the Miss Chigger title. But, I didn't want to see those little girls cry...so I bowed out of the competition!

Then on to lunch at BIG JON'S BURGERS. I graduated with the owner, Jon Thomas, WAAAAYYY back in 1974. There's only 4 tables in there so you may have to share a meal with someone else....our lunch-mate was a man who came from Dallas, just to eat a Hamburger Steak! You better be hungry when you go there - you gets LOTS of food!


Then later in the afternoon, we were getting a little "weak and lifeless", so we went to Miller's Drug store for a treat!

This is Mabel Wheat. She's in her late 80's and is STILL a "soda jerk". She's been doing this for over 50 years. They make the ice cream there...you get chocolate or vanilla. If you order a Coke...it's made with Coke syrup and the "fizzy stuff". There's no automatic quick anything at Miller's! I had a choclate milkshake. Mary was good and had a Diet Cherry Lime-Aid.....and it was good.
The owner of Miller's asked her, while we were there, if she'd like to take a break and walk around the square. She declined, saying "Nope, anyone I want to see will come in here!"

No comments: